Friday, July 09, 2010

Some of my favorite quotes

1. Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,

I took the one less travelled by,

And that has made all the difference.

-----------------Robert Frost

2. If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it? If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it? -------Albert Einstein.

3. May the conscience and the common sense of the peoples be awakened, so that we may reach a new stage in the life of nations, where people will look back on war as an incomprehensible aberration of their forefathers! --------- Albert Einstein.

4. He Mahajiban

No more of this poetry.


Bring on the hard, harsh prose instead.


Let the jingle of verse disappear


And the strong hammer of prose strike.


No need for the serenity of a poem;


Poetry, I give you a break today.


In the regime of hunger, the earth belongs to prose,


The full moon burns like a loaf of bread.

5. The Testimonial
(Chhaadpatra)

The news came
From the child who was born today.
She has got the testimonial,
And therefore she proclaims her rights to the new
unknown world
With piercing cries.

She is helpless and small, yet her fist is raised,
Glowing in an incomprehensible oath.

No one understands.
Some laugh, some reprove.

I recognize her language, though.
I see the signs of a coming age
As I read the child’s credentials
In her hazy, misty eyes.
The new child has arrived. We must make place for
her;
And move away
Into the wrecked and dead wastelands
Of this old earth.

And leave we will. Yet as long as I breathe,
I will go on clearing the debris
with all my strength
From the face of this earth.
I will make this world habitable for this child;
This is my firm pledge to the newborn.

Once my work is done,
I shall bless the child
With my own blood.

And then, I shall become history.

6. A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. ----- Albert Einstein.

7. Either you die as a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become a villain----- from the movie Dark Knight

8. Madness is just like gravity, what it needs is just a push----- from the movie Dark Knight.

9. You are too concerned with what was and what will be, there is a saying , yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift, i.e., why it is called the present------ from the movie Kungfu Panda.

10. To make something special you just have to believe it is special. ------ from the movie Kungfu Panda.

11. When the going gets tough the tough gets going---- Universal Commando Theme.

12. God Helps those who help themselves. ---- Unknown.

13. Fortune favours the brave--- Unknown.

14. Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. ----- Albert Einstein.

15. Sukanto Bhattacharya who wrote :"khudhar rajoye prithibi goddomoy, purnimar chand jeno jholshano ruti".

16. Invictus poem by William Ernest Henley that provided Mandela inspiration during his 27 years in prison.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
I thank whatever gods may be

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

17. After All if I cannot change, when circumstances demanded, then how can i expect others too”--- by Nelson Mandela on being asked in a sports show that how is he supporting the team Springboks, when during the apartheid times, he used to support any team which played against the Springboks, taken from the movie invictus.

18. Any fool can know. The point is to understand. ----- Albert Einstein.

19. “History will be kind to me for I intend to write it” ---- Winston Churchill.

20. Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense ---- Winston Churchill.

21. Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm.---- Winston Churchill.

22. We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out---- Winston Churchill.

23. “Life is not what One lived, but what One remembers and how One remembers it in order to recount it" ---- Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

24. “If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.” ---- Albert Einstein.

25. Misty Morning, Clouds in the sky, Without Warning a wizard walks by.....Casting his shadow, weaving his spell, Funny clothes, tinkling bell.....Never talking, just keeps walking, spreading his magic"............"Sun is Shining, Clouds have gone by, All the people give a happy sigh......He has passed by, giving his sign, Left all the people feeling so fine.....Never talking, just keeps walking, spreading his magic" -------- from the song 'Wizard' by Black Sabbath, released in February 1970. Sabbath had composed the 'Wizard' inspired by the character Gandalf from the Lord of the Rings.


26. Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. ---- Albert Einstein.

27. "In order not to have to rob his subjects, to be able to defend himself, not to become poor and contemptible, and not to be forced to become rapacious, a prince must consider it of little importance if he incurs the reputation of being a miser, for this is one of the vices that permits him to rule," -------- Niccolo Machiavelli in the book The Little Prince.

28. "To understand the nature of the people one must be a prince, and to understand the nature of the prince, one must be of the people,"----- Machiavelli


29. Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.—William Butler Yeats, 1899


30. "Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long-shot."---- Charlie Chaplin

31. Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. ---- Plato, Greek Philosopher

32. Wisdom is not a product of schooling but a lifelong attempt to acquire it. --- Albert Einstein.

33. I know what I have given you. I do not know what you have received --- Antonio Porchia, Italian Poet.

34. Wisdom s knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it and virtue is doing it. -- --- David Starr Jordan, Writer.

35. Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.----Scott Adams, The Dilbert Principle.

36. A horse gallops with his lungs, preserves with his heart, and wins with his character.--- Frederico Tesio.

37. Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. --- Will Durant.

38. What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do. --- Bob Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured post

Living with Itihasa and History together

Is Itha-sa and History Synonym of each other or identical of each other each other ? From my childhood days, we all have been heari...